45 minutes preparation
60 minutes baking
- 8 oz (225g) plain Flour.
- 4 oz(110g) Margarine.
- 2 oz (55g) Lard.
- Pinch of Salt.
- 2 tablespoons cold and 3 tablespoons hot Water.
or 1 pkg Store-bought pie crust (cheating)
- 1 lb (500g) cooking Apples, sliced.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 oz salted butter.
- 2 1/2 c sugar, and additional for sprinkling.
- 1/4 c flour.
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch.
- 1 oz (28g) Milk.
- Rub all flour, margarine, lard, and salt ingredients together until fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to make a soft but firm dough.
- Roll pastry on floured surface to the size you want your pie, make two crusts.
- Place one crust in pie pan.
Do not precook apples, as this will deprive the pie of a substantial amount of flavor and turns the apples into goop!
- Peel and slice apples into 1/8th-1/4th inch thick segments.
- Add lemon juice to apple segments.
- Mix apples by hand into 1/2 cup sugar and a few dashes of cinnamon.
- Transfer segments less aquired juices to pie pan. (This helps prevent the pie from boiling over in the oven).
- Mix rest of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and cornstarch in a seperate bowl.
- Pour over apples in pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with the other crust of the pie.
- Firm down edges with fork or finger.
- Cut heart or diamond-shaped vents into top crust.
- Brush the pastry top with milk and sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon over the top.
- Bake at 350°F (177°C) until golden brown (about 60 minutes).
- Serve warm with ice cream or custard.
Notes, tips and variations
- Use a variety of apples to get a wider pallate of flavors and textures.
- Use 2-3 Granny Smith apples, in combination with the other apples.
- Replace the lard with shortening for a vegan dessert.
Filling will be very hot immediately after the pie is taken from the oven.