Find a Restaurant
KOL - Kitchen & Bar Skólavörðustígur 40
Apotek Restaurant Austurstræti 16
Torfan Amtmannsstíg 1
The Tapas Bar Vesturgötu 3b
Vitinn Vitatorg 7, Sandgerði
Tryggvaskáli Austurvegi 1, Selfoss
The Steakhouse Tryggvagötu 4-6
SKY Lounge & Bar Ingólfsstræti 1
The Seafood Grill Skólavörðustíg 14
Mar Restaurant Geirsgata 9
Lækjarbrekka Bankastræti 2
The Fish Company Vesturgata 2a
News and Announcements
45 minutes preparation
60 minutes baking
- 8 oz (225g) plain Flour.
- 4 oz(110g) Margarine.
- 2 oz (55g) Lard.
- Pinch of Salt.
- 2 tablespoons cold and 3 tablespoons hot Water.
or 1 pkg Store-bought pie crust (cheating)
- 1 lb (500g) cooking Apples, sliced.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 oz salted butter.
- 2 1/2 c sugar, and additional for sprinkling.
- 1/4 c flour.
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch.
- 1 oz (28g) Milk.
- Rub all flour, margarine, lard, and salt ingredients together until fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to make a soft but firm dough.
- Roll pastry on floured surface to the size you want your pie, make two crusts.
- Place one crust in pie pan.
Do not precook apples, as this will deprive the pie of a substantial amount of flavor and turns the apples into goop!
- Peel and slice apples into 1/8th-1/4th inch thick segments.
- Add lemon juice to apple segments.
- Mix apples by hand into 1/2 cup sugar and a few dashes of cinnamon.
- Transfer segments less aquired juices to pie pan. (This helps prevent the pie from boiling over in the oven).
- Mix rest of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and cornstarch in a seperate bowl.
- Pour over apples in pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with the other crust of the pie.
- Firm down edges with fork or finger.
- Cut heart or diamond-shaped vents into top crust.
- Brush the pastry top with milk and sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon over the top.
- Bake at 350°F (177°C) until golden brown (about 60 minutes).
- Serve warm with ice cream or custard.
Notes, tips and variations
- Use a variety of apples to get a wider pallate of flavors and textures.
- Use 2-3 Granny Smith apples, in combination with the other apples.
- Replace the lard with shortening for a vegan dessert.
Filling will be very hot immediately after the pie is taken from the oven.
Time 60 minutes
A simple, fairly easy chocolate cake recipe.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate.
- 1c sugar (or 1/2 cup).
- 1 egg.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 3/4 cup water.
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces (such as chocolate chips).
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- (Optional: 4 ounces cream cheese or sour cream).
- Put the oil and chocolate in an 8in (20cm) square pan and set it in 350°F (175°C) oven just until the chocolate melts (Add sour cream or cream cheese if desired).
- Add remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips and nuts, to the pan.
- Beat with a fork until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Scrape the sides of the pan, and spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Optionally, cut the chocolate chips and nuts into the batter to some extent.
- Bake 350°F (176.66°C if you’re feeling more precise than before) for 30 to 40 minutes, untill a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan; eat hot or cooled.
Servings 24 servings
Time 20 minutes
Small, open-faced sandwiches, Bruschette make perfect appetizers. They are delicious and quick and easy to make.
Makes about 24 Bruschette.
- 1 long loaf crusty bread.
- 3 medium ripe roma tomatoes.
- 3 large fresh mozzarella balls.
- 24 fresh basil leaves.
- Coarse salt.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut Bread into 1/2″ slices on the diagonal.
- Lightly toast bread in the oven on both sides.
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place one on each slice of bread.
- Cut mozzarella balls into 1/4 inch slices and place on top of tomato.
- Chop basil into thin strips and sprinkle on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Notes, tips, and variations
An optionial re-toasting with toppings on will make the mozzarella melty and even more delicious.
Authentic Italian Bruschetta begins with rubbing roasted garlic cloves on the toasted bread slices.